Are you looking for a funny Christmas play script with the cute factor?
As with all of my nativity plays, the Donkey’s Christmas play is…
- purpose written
- easy to learn
As I began writing nativity scripts for my own use as a children’s leader, I deliberately make them…
- easy to recast in the event of absence or illness, and
- simple to use regardless of the number of children.
- INSTANTLY DOWNLOADABLE in an easy to use format.
The nativity script lasts around 25 minutes and is written entirely in rhyme, including the narration and all of the speaking parts, a proven way to make the script easier to remember.
The script includes 5 simple optional songs using familiar tunes with my own easily remembered lyrics, and 1 of my own compositions, with FREE INSTANTLY DOWNLOADABLE MP3 music backing tracks included in case you have no pianist or guitarist (sheet music is included too)
The basic script focuses on the donkey as the main character and, whilst it is written for 20 speaking parts plus non-speaking angels, it deliberately includes adaptations to make it work for casts of between 9 and 23 actors, plus a large narration which could easily be shared.
As one of my more recent scripts, I do not currently have any testimonials for the script, but I have no doubt that the cute factor of the donkey as the main character, and the message that no-one should ever feel unimportant, will be a firm favourite.
Click here to see a preview of the script to decide for yourself.
The script lasts around 25 minutes, telling the traditional bible based nativity story entirely in rhyme using narration and small speaking parts, with lots of gentle humour
Click here for a preview of the script.
The Donkey’s Christmas Play…….
Tells the traditional, bible based nativity story in a fun way, using
Lots of gentle humour and
Short, rhyming speaking parts (averaging 1 or 2 lines) to make everyone feel special.
Whilst flexible and adaptable and for smaller or larger cast sizes without altering the length, the script is written with 20 speaking parts (3 of which could be shared for a larger cast, but only 9 of which are necessary for a smaller cast)
The script is all held together with a rhyming narration, making last minute changes much easier to accommodate.
If you’re ready to buy THE DONKEYS CHRISTMAS PLAY click on the ADD TO CART button below, or continue reading if you need more details.
Click the headings below for more specific details:
- The basic traditional nativity costumes
- a good reader to narrate (94 lines are included to be shared as you choose)
- an acting cast to cover a minimum of 9 parts (plus narrator and angels)……….
although doubling up of characters is possible, and up to 23 speaking parts are actually included. This gives an indication of how flexible the script is, as suggestions are given for lines to be reallocated to other parts, and alternatives are provided for the narrator to say some lines to help reduce the cast as required.
THAT’S RIGHT…NO PIANIST REQUIRED, although sheet music is provided if you are fortunate enough to have one!
(Can be reduced or increased without changing script length as alternatives are offered for the narrator or other actors to say.)
If used as written it will include 20 to 23 speaking parts, plus narrator (s), non-speaking extras and singers:
- Narrator with 95 lines to share.
- 1 roman soldier, Mary, Joseph, Donkey (main character), shepherds 1, 2 & 3, Angel Gabriel, up to 7 innkeepers, (optional 4 wives), star, 3 kings, (plus angels, animals, crowds, carol singers.)
However, adaptations are included to enable the script to be performed by just 9 characters (see script preview for casting list)
All of the songs use familiar children’s tunes with very SIMPLE SONG WORDS. to help minimise rehearsals.song words to non-copyrighted.
I have used my own easily remembered words to the following popular tunes…
The Wise Man built his House upon the Rock (ie, Travelling song called “The Donkey Carried Mary”)
Go to sleep my baby (ie, Lullably song “Go to Sleep my Jesus”)
My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean (ie, Angels’ song called “Do Not be Afraid, We are Angels”)
Pop Goes the Weasel (ie, Shepherd’s song called “We’re on the Way to Bethlehem”)
Sing a Song of Sixpence (ie, Kings song called “We’re Looking for a Baby”)
Plus, the play begins and ends with my own composition called “The Celebration Song”, a lively, catchy tune with very simple but effective words that the children can easily remember.
Also, for your convenience:
- THERE ARE NO LICENCE FEES TO PAY, (and I am happy to waive my own)
- SHEET MUSIC IS PROVIDED for IF you have a pianist
- PLUS INSTANTLY DOWNLOADABLE FREE MP3 BACKING TRACKS ARE INCLUDED (great to rehearse to without a pianist and/ or use for the performance)
Bearing in mind that every performance of a script will be different dependant upon the speed of the reading and acting, I can only offer a rough guidance:
- I would expect the script, including songs, to last approximately 25 minutes, although this will, of course, be reliant upon everything flowing in a calm, fully rehearsed way without delays to get actors in position etc. Of course, the songs are optional so you can reduce or lengthen the performance time by omitting or altering the songs.
- If you choose to include the “Donkey’s Christmas Nativity Roll Call Poem” allow another 1 and a half minutes, of course, this poem is different in length dependant on how many of your cast stand and say their line and how speedily and efficiently they do so! The poem gives everyone in the cast the opportunity to bow and respond at the relevant point.
- If you choose to use the poem “God’s Always Been There” to round off the play allow another 2 minutes, again dependant on how you choose to use it and what speed it is read at.
Considerations when planning your rehearsals…..
- If the script is used exactly as written, no individual has a large amount to learn (in general I aim to give everyone just a couple of rhyming lines each)
- The characters tend to be in their own individual scenes, making it easy for scenes to practised individually without the need for full rehearsals.
- If you choose to use the songs, they are deliberately easy to remember as the words are simple and repetitive, but they can be practised without a pianist by using the mp3 backing tracks provided.
All these things considered, I personally would plan to practise individual scenes and songs separately so that one or two full rehearsals should then be sufficient (the first being an opportunity for the director to make notes re practicalities etc, and the second being a full dress rehearsal, although personal circumstances and cast age and ability will of course determine this more accurately.)
As the script is so adaptable, (scripted for between 9 and 23 speaking parts without reducing the script length), please be aware that the following list is for the maximum likelihood that you will need. Therefore, the only costumes required are:
- Traditional nativity costumes for the characters that you choose to include from the following:
- 1 roman soldier, Mary, Joseph, Donkey (main character), shepherds 1, 2 & 3, Angel Gabriel, up to 7 innkeepers, (optional 4 wives), (only Innkeeper 4 is crucial) star, 2 kings 1 king which could be omitted, (plus angels, animals, crowds, carol singers.)
The minimum scripted cast without reducing the script or doubling up characters is in bold
Just £9.95, for an instantly downloadable pdf document of the script, including sheet music and downloadable mp3 backing tracks of the music.
Alternatively, I highly recommend upgrading your purchase for just £2 extra, to receive all of the above in addition to A WORD DOCUMENT of the script to customise and personalise for your own nativity play. It really is invaluable when it comes to personalising the script and distributing lines etc.
“Someone always notices, God will always care
For He is always present, even when you’re unaware.”
Throughout the play the donkey grumbles about being un-noticed and feeling unloved playing such a humble background role, and then realises at the end of the day that he had carried God’s unborn son and been present at His birth, but simply didn’t recognise the privilege at the time….
“He thought about the baby’s birth, and then he understood:
The Saviour of the world thinks that humility is good!”
If you choose to use the free extra poem at the end of the play called “God’s Always Been”, it highlights this message and brings more of a Christian focus on it, ending with the words “And God has a purpose for all of our lives, whether or not we’re aware. So just like the donkey, trying noticing God: You’ll find that He’s always been there!”
If you’re ready to buy THE DONKEYS CHRISTMAS PLAY click on the ADD TO CART button below, or continue reading if you need more details.
Click the headings below to find out more about this Nativity:
I pride myself in making my scripts the best value for money around, so my Donkey’s Christmas Play, including sheet music and FREE music mp3 files, can be downloaded instantly to your computer for the special low price of just £9.95.
For this one time investment you will receive:
- An easy to follow script, with
- a built in note-making column
- a character listing and breakdown of lines per character
- a casting list (add your own children’s names)
- Notes to help you on how casting can be adapted
- Some helpful directing suggestions
- Words and sheet music to all of the songs
- Permission to re-use the script with NO LICENCE FEE TO PAY
- FREE downloadable MP3 FILES as MUSIC backing tracks
And wait, there’s more…….
I’VE SAVED THE BEST TILL LAST
Which is yours to customize as you choose once you have bought it, so that you can……..
- Reduce or lengthen the script
- Miss out or change songs
- Add names
- Print off your finished version, exactly representing your own personal nativity plans, and distribute individual speaking parts to the cast.
- All without any untidy scribbles or mess on the pages, leaving it as clear and easy as possible to read and use!
“Having the downloadable copy was invaluable as we could adapt it to meet our own needs and personalise it”
Kirsty, Summerhill Junior School, Bristol
You can take advantage of this unprecedented option to upgrade and receive the actual, adaptable word document in addition to the PDF (you’d be mad not to) for just £2 extra. Just follow the simple instructions once you click the “ADD TO CART” button.
Remember, it is a totally customizable Word Document IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL PDF.
PLUS you’ll get these FREE ADDITIONAL BONUSES: –
- A “Donkey’s Christmas Nativity Roll Call” performance poem and message to the audience : a fabulous and unique finale for your nativity play, summing up the message that we are all important to God. All in rhyme and rhythm, this gives everyone involved the opportunity to take a bow as they say their own individual line. The nativity roll call has become my trademark and I now write one for every script as it is so well received.
- “God’s Always Been there”: A purpose written Christmas rhyming poem which can, if you choose, be read out to round up the message at the end of your nativity play.
So, what are you waiting for? It doesn’t get much better than this:
Grab your LICENCE FREE COPY of the Donkey’s Christmas Play script at the …….
Special Low Price of
Not £21.95) but £9.95 for the PDF version
You will then get the option to UPGRADE to the fully customizable Word Document package for just an extra £2.
Still not sure? How about these alternative Nativity Plays, all including songs with sheet music and simple mp3 backing tracks:
Maybe you’d prefer the traditional bible based nativity story told with lots of gentle humour and adding a contemporary twist, again all in rhyme, including the narration which holds it all together, and interspersed with 6 simple songs (sheet music and mp3 backing tracks included)
If so, click here to go to my CHILDREN’S NATIVITY STORY
Would you prefer the combination of a modern day Christmas Eve setting anticipating Santa (or St Nicholas), alongside a reminder of the traditional bible based nativity introduced by Grandpa as a bedtime story (and acted out in rhyme), with a hint of pantomime villain in Herod? This script also includes sheet music and mp3 backing tracks for 5 songs. Like the sound of it?
If so, click here to go to my GRANDPA’S NATIVITY STORY
How about the gossiping innkeeper’s wife telling the traditional nativity story using her diary, with her somewhat downtrodden husband, and the narrator correcting her version of events from time to time!
Mary also adds an extra touch of humour with her uniquely amusing dialogue with Joseph. (Older children and even teenagers particularly enjoy this nativity script, whilst younger children love the songs) Again, this script includes sheet music and mp3 backing tracks to 6 simple songs. Interested?
If so, click here for THE DAY THAT BABY JESUS CAME TO TOWN
Do you need something even more Adaptable, Brilliantly Creative, Deliberately Easy and Flexible? Maybe, a script entirely narrated as an alphabet poem, with printable illustrated letters provided to be displayed at the appropriate moment, and actions suggested for all of the alphabetical keywords of the Christmas story, and no lines to learn. Something perfect for any cast, including special needs, or even pre-school children.
Maybe you’d like some interaction with the audience and get them involved doing actions too? The concept of this script is so simple that you can accommodate any preference according to the ideas given throughout the rhyming script , which includes mp3 backing tracks and sheet music provided for 8 simple (optional) songs too.
Intrigued? If so, click here to go to my ALPHABET NATIVITY PLAY
Prefer a nativity service with bible readings, a nativity play, a couple of songs for the children to perform, combined with carol singing for the whole congregation? ……
- Do you want to incorporate your nativity play into a nativity service, and all join in with some uplifting carol singing?
- Do you want a simple but effective play, with the unique effect of rhyme in the storyteller’s part, as well as the actors’ lines.
- Maybe rehearsals are difficult to achieve, or you prefer a ‘less performed’ approach, or would simply like less focus on the perfection of the performance and more on the biblical teaching?
- How great would it be to have all of the appropriate bible readings included, not to mention all of the script prompt cards pre-prepared and ready to simply print off and distribute?
- Does a pre-prepared nativity service including the gentle innocence of a children’s nativity play, the joy of a good sing, and the teaching of the bible passages appeal to you?
If so, click here to go to THAT WONDERFUL GOD-GIVEN FIRST CHRISTMAS DAY.
Would you prefer to use your own choice of songs/carols, or combine your nativity play with a church service and congregational hymns?
If so, our price for the following options is EVEN LOWER!….
Why not let the narrator tell the entire story and give the cast instructions, all in rhyme via the script (making this possible to do without a rehearsal!)?
There are 19 small optional speaking parts (each following obvious prompts such as “The innkeeper said….), plus lots of narration to share as you choose, as well as an instructor giving the instructions to the actors if you have any.
Printable script cards are included (plus ‘name tags’ for if you have a director brave enough to do an impromptu nativity play without rehearsal!) If the actor doesn’t say it, the narrator does….
Do you fancy doing a simple nativity play?
If so, click here to go to THE SIMPLEST NATIVITY PLAY EVER.
How about letting the narrator tell the story while an on-stage director gives instructions to the entire cast, all in rhyme as part of the script (making this possible to do without a rehearsal with a confident director!)
The script, as it is written requires Mary, Joseph and an Innkeeper, but also has an additional 20 small optional speaking parts (each following obvious prompts such as “This is the angel who ………), plus 76 lines of narration, and 72 lines for the director (the director does not need to learn anything, but has the script on a clipboard and refers to it constantly as part of the director role, so he/she is able to scan read lines as if simply checking the script for the actors).
Printable script cards are included (plus ‘name tags’ for actors to hang around their necks to aid the director, if you are brave enough to do an impromptu nativity play without rehearsal!) If any actors choose not to say their own lines, the script allows for a voice-over to say the lines on their behalf so that the script does not need reducing.
If so, click here to go to THE STORY OF CHRISTMAS
This last script is very specific and written for a church service….
Do you have a fun, family atmosphere in your church? Older children? Not many children? Little opportunity to rehearse? The hilarious and unique Do-It-Yourself Nativity Play invites people from the congregation to join in as the script progresses, all narrated and directed IN RHYME AND RHYTHM, and unashamedly mocking (via the script) the adult volunteers! Sound like fun?
If so, click here to go to THE DIY NATIVITY PLAY.
Still prefer The Donkey’s Christmas Play?
Spoilt for choice?
At this price, where’s the harm in buying a couple and being prepared for next year too? You have my blessing to mix and match the songs (and even parts of the scripts if you like.) Adapt them as you choose, and the upgrade to the word document will make it even easier!
Ps. If you are still not sure, remember that you don’t have to take my word for it. Read the fantastic testimonials that I have received, from teachers and nativity organisers who have used the scripts.
PPs Still not sure? Click here and let the script previews speak for themselves. In the meantime why not TRY OUT MY WORK FOR FREE? Download your FREE COPY of my “Nativity Roll Call” rhyming poem which makes a fantastic finish to any traditional nativity play! Just enter your name and email address in the box below, click the “SEND IT NOW!” button and you will immediately be given the opportunity to download the Roll Call poem. Once you’ve seen how simple and instant the download process is, why not come back to purchase your instantly downloadable nativity play – you’ll be glad you did!
PPPs. Why do I do it for this price?
I love the work that you are doing! Let’s face it, you are doing endless extra hours and voluntary work, so this is my way of supporting you and saying that it is all worthwhile and appreciated. Well done, and keep up the good work! Enjoy the script, have fun with your nativity play, and have a wonderful Christmas!