The Grandpa’s Nativity Story Play
“Absolutely excellent! Complete bargain!
Many parents said it was our best nativity yet”
Jodi Ince, Blidworth Oaks Early Years Unit, Nottinghamshire
As with all of my nativity plays, the Grandpa’s Nativity Story is…
- Purpose written
- Easy to learn
As I began writing nativity scripts for my own use as a children’s leader, I deliberately make them…
- Easy to recast in the event of absence or illness, and
- Simple to use regardless of the number of children.
- INSTANTLY DOWNLOADABLE in an easy to use format.
The nativity script lasts around 25 minutes and is written entirely in rhyme, including the narration and all of the speaking parts, a proven way to make the script easier to remember.
Preschools, primary schools and churches across the world have written to say how simple and effective they have found it, many stating that it has been their “most successful nativity to date.”
Click here to read testimonials specifically relating to this script.
The script lasts around 25 minutes, and tells the traditional bible based nativity story (via Grandpas bedtime story), using narration and lots of small speaking parts (all in rhyme) and the novelty of Herod as a pantomime style villain.
Click here for a preview of the script.
The Grandpa’s Nativity Story…
This nativity play is set in an excited children’s bedroom on Christmas Eve, when Grandpa settles the children to sleep by reading the traditional nativity to them as a bedtime story. With the exception of the introductions that Grandpa reads for each scene, it is written entirely in rhyme, including the narration, and the 22 (some optional) speaking parts.
This nativity play…….
Tells the traditional, bible based nativity in a fun way
Includes a ‘pantomime style’ villain in Herod
Is blended with the excitement of a modern Christmas Eve
Can (optionally) include Santa/ St Nicholas
Uses short, rhyming speaking parts (averaging 2 to 4 lines) to make everyone feel special.
Whilst flexible and adaptable for ANY SIZE CAST (smallest reported to date is 9, and the largest 150), the script is written with 22 speaking parts and….
- Is all held together with a rhyming narration.
- The traditional story is read by Grandpa
This makes last minute changes much easier to accommodate.
If you’re ready to buy the GRANDPAS NATIVITY STORY, click on the ADD TO CART button below, or continue reading if you need more details.
Click the headings below for more specific details
- The basic traditional nativity costumes, plus children in pyjamas, and a Grandpa costume (or Grandma, if you choose to adapt it!)
- good readers for narrator and Grandpa role
- Whilst the script is written with speaking parts for 22 people, these parts can be shared out/ omitted/ combined etc as you need to, suiting your own cast requirements (see cast details). therefore a total cast of between 9 and 150 is feasible (according to the customers who have already used it)
- ideally, the play is performed with one stage area for the child’s bedroom where Grandpa is based to read the story, and another stage area for the nativity story to be acted out.
THAT’S RIGHT…NO PIANIST REQUIRED, although sheet music is provided if you are fortunate enough to have one
(Can be reduced or increased without changing script length, as alternatives are offered for the narrator or other actors to say)
If used as written the script includes 22 speaking parts as listed below, plus non-speaking extras and singers:
- Narrator with 26 rhyming lines
- Grandpa Joe (good reader) with 9 rhyming lines when interacting with the children, plus 14 individual paragraphs throughout the play to read from the script (disguised as a book) as an introduction to each nativity scene.
- 5 children (in pyjamas/dressing gowns), roman soldier, Mary, Joseph, innkeepers 1, 2 and 3 and 4, Shepherds 1, 2 & 3 Angel Gabriel, 3 kings, King Herod, star, (plus Santa, Rudolf, dancing angels, animals, guests in inns, extra shepherds etc as preferred)
n.b each of the characters in italics are deliberately written as optional parts and can be omitted or lines spoken by the narrator so that the script is not reduced.
All of the songs use familiar children’s tunes with very SIMPLE SONG WORDS. to help minimise rehearsals.song words to non-copyrighted.
I have used my own easily remembered words to the following popular tunes…
Oranges and Lemons (ie, Travelling song called “Bethlehem, Bethlehem, So Far Away”)
O Christmas Tree (ie, Visitors to the stable song called “In Bethlehem a Babe was Born”)
The traditional hymn, Children of Jerusalem (ie, Angels’ song called “Angel’s Hallelujah”)
We wish you a Merry Christmas (ie, Concluding song called “Happy Birthday to Jesus”)
Finally, my own (optional) catchy “Ho Ho Ho” (Santa’s Song) is also included together with alternative variations referring to St Nicholas, and/or Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. You may choose to use the play with no reference to Santa/St Nicholas/ the reindeer etc & it will be just as effective.
For your convenience:
- THERE ARE NO LICENCE FEES TO PAY, (and I am happy to waive my own)
- SHEET MUSIC IS PROVIDED for IF you have a pianist
- PLUS INSTANTLY DOWNLOADABLE FREE MP3 BACKING TRACKS ARE INCLUDED (great to rehearse to without a pianist and/ or use for the performance)
Bearing in mind that every performance of a script will be different dependant upon the speed of the reading and acting, I can only offer a rough guidance:
- I would expect the script, including songs, to last approximately 25 minutes, although this will, of course, be reliant upon everything flowing in a calm, fully rehearsed way without delays to get actors in position etc. Of course, the songs are optional so you can reduce or lengthen the performance time by omitting or altering the songs.
- If you choose to include the “The Grandpa’s Nativity Roll Call Poem” allow up to 2 minutes, but recognise that this poem is different in length dependant on how many of your cast stand and say their line and how speedily and efficiently they do so! The poem gives everyone in the cast the opportunity to bow and respond at the relevant point.
- If you choose to use the poem “The Ultimate Christmas Gift” to round off the play allow another 2 minutes, again dependant on how you choose to use/ perform it and what stresses and pauses you include.
Considerations when planning your rehearsals…..
- If the script is used exactly as written, no individual has a large amount to learn (I aim to give everyone just a couple of rhyming lines each, and Grandpa reads his words from a script disguised as a book).
- With the exception of the excited children in the bedroom, Grandpa and the narrator(s), the characters tend to be in their own individual scenes, making it easy for scenes to practised individually without the need for full rehearsals.
- If you choose to use the songs, they are deliberately easy to remember as the words are simple and repetitive, but they can be practised without a pianist by using the mp3 backing tracks provided.
All these things considered, I personally would plan to practise individual scenes and songs separately so that one or two full rehearsals should then be sufficient (the first being an opportunity for the director to make notes re practicalities etc, and the second being a full dress rehearsal, although personal circumstances and cast age and ability will of course determine this more accurately.)
As the script is so adaptable, (the smallest cast size to my knowledge currently being 9), please be aware that the following list is for the maximum likelihood that you will need. Therefore, the only costumes required are:
- Grandpa Joe/Grandma Jo
- Traditional nativity costumes for the characters that you choose to include from the following:
5 children (in pyjamas/dressing gowns), roman soldier, Mary, Joseph, innkeepers 1, 2 and 3 and 4, Shepherds 1, 2 & 3 Angel Gabriel, 3 kings, King Herod, star, (plus Santa, Rudolf, dancing angels, animals, guests in inns, extra shepherds etc as preferred). The italics are for optional characters.
Just £9.95, for an instantly downloadable pdf document of the script, including sheet music and downloadable mp3 backing tracks of the music.
Alternatively, I highly recommend upgrading your purchase for just £2 extra, to receive all of the above in addition to A WORD DOCUMENT of the script to customise and personalise for your own nativity play. It really is invaluable when it comes to personalising the script and distributing lines etc.
Don’t get carried away with the excitement of Christmas and forget the real reason for the celebration, Jesus being the very first and most precious gift of all.
If you choose to use the Ultimate Christmas Gift poem, the message can be extended with an optional, biblical conclusion, the last verse of it being:
- So let’s not forget Him at Christmas
For Jesus was more than a child,
He knew that he would have to die
As someone despised and reviled;
Someone who suffered for our sakes,
Someone with unending love,
Someone who is God entirely
The Trinity, come from above.
If you’re ready to buy the Grandpa’s Nativity Story, click on the ADD TO CART button below, or continue reading if you need more details.
Click the titles below to find out more about this Nativity:
I pride myself in making my scripts the best value for money around, so my Children’s Nativity Story, including sheet music and FREE music mp3 files, can be downloaded instantly to your computer for the special low price of just £9.95.
For this one time investment you will receive:
- An easy to follow script, with
- a built in note-making column
- a character listing and breakdown of lines per character
- a casting list (add your own children’s names)
- Notes to help you on how casting can be adapted
- Some helpful directing suggestions
- Permission to re-use the script with NO LICENCE FEE TO PAY
- FREE downloadable Mp3 FILES as MUSIC backing tracks
And wait, there’s more…….
I’VE SAVED THE BEST TILL LAST
Which is yours to customize as you choose once you have bought it, so that you can……..
- Reduce or lengthen the script
- Miss out or change songs
- Add names
- Print off your finished version, exactly representing your own personal nativity plans, and distribute individual speaking parts for the children to learn.
- All without any untidy scribbles or mess on the pages, leaving it as clear and easy as possible to read and use!
“Having the downloadable copy was invaluable as we could adapt it to meet our own needs and personalise it”
Kirsty, Summerhill Junior School, Bristol
You can take advantage of this unprecedented option to upgrade and receive the actual, adaptable word document in addition to the PDF (you’d be mad not to) for just £2 extra. Just follow the simple instructions once you click the “ADD TO CART” button.
Remember, it is a totally customizable Word Document IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL PDF.
PLUS you’ll get these FREE ADDITIONAL BONUSES: –
- A “Grandpa’s Nativity Roll Call” performance poem: a fabulous and unique finale for your nativity play. Again, all in rhyme, this gives everyone involved the opportunity to take a bow as they say their own individual line. All variations are included to cover varying cast sizes and adaptations.
- The “Ultimate Christmas Gift” : A purpose written Christmas rhyming poem which can, if you choose, be read out to round up the message at the end of your nativity play, or even be extended for use in church as a sermon!
“We loved the poem, and Roll Call too”
Jill Isaacs, St Peter’s Church, Smithills
So, what are you waiting for? It doesn’t get much better than this:
Grab your LICENCE FREE COPY of the Grandpa’s Nativity Story script at the …….
Special Low Price of
Not £21.95) but £9.95 for the PDF version
You will then get the option to UPGRADE to the fully customizable Word Document package for just an extra £2.
Still not sure? Want some music included? How about these Nativity Plays?:
The following scripts include sheet music and mp3 backing tracks for simple children’s nativity songs too……
Maybe you’d prefer the traditional bible based nativity story told with lots of gentle humour and adding a contemporary twist, again all in rhyme, including the narration which holds it all together, and interspersed with 6 simple songs (sheet music and mp3 backing tracks included)
If so, click here to go to my CHILDREN’S NATIVITY STORY
How about the gossiping innkeeper’s wife telling the traditional nativity story using her diary, with her somewhat downtrodden husband, and the narrator correcting her version of events from time to time!
Mary also adds an extra touch of humour with her uniquely amusing dialogue with Joseph. (Older children and even teenagers particularly enjoy this nativity script, whilst younger children love the songs) Again, this script includes sheet music and mp3 backing tracks to 6 simple songs. Interested?
If so, click here for THE DAY THAT BABY JESUS CAME TO TOWN
Tells the traditional bible based story from the perspective of the donkey, feeling unnoticed and unremarkable until he realises by the end of the story that he had been chosen to carry God’s unborn son to the place of his birth, and that God had not only noticed him but had actually been with him all along and actually LOVES his humble life.
Acted by a young child, the donkey can add a cute factor, or more of a comedic effect acted with attitude by an older child. The story is told with lots of gentle humour and short speaking parts, all held together with a rhyming narration and interspersed with 6 simple songs. Sound suitable for you?
If so, click here for more details of The Donkey’s Christmas Play
Do you need something even more Adaptable, Brilliantly Creative, Deliberately Easy and Flexible? Maybe, a script entirely narrated as an alphabet poem, with printable illustrated letters provided to be displayed at the appropriate moment, and actions suggested for all of the alphabetical keywords of the Christmas story, and no lines to learn. Something perfect for any cast, including special needs, or even pre-school children.
Maybe you’d like some interaction with the audience and get them involved doing actions too? The concept of this script is so simple that you can accommodate any preference according to the ideas given throughout the rhyming script , which includes mp3 backing tracks and sheet music provided for 8 simple (optional) songs too.
Intrigued? If so, click here to go to my ALPHABET NATIVITY PLAY
Prefer a nativity service with bible readings, a nativity play, a couple of songs for the children to perform, combined with carol singing for the whole congregation? ……
- Do you want to incorporate your nativity play into a nativity service, and all join in with some uplifting carol singing?
- Do you want a simple but effective play, with the unique effect of rhyme in the storyteller’s part, as well as the actors’ lines.
- Maybe rehearsals are difficult to achieve, or you prefer a ‘less performed’ approach, or would simply like less focus on the perfection of the performance and more on the biblical teaching?
- How great would it be to have all of the appropriate bible readings included, not to mention all of the script prompt cards pre-prepared and ready to simply print off and distribute?
- Does a pre-prepared nativity service including the gentle innocence of a children’s nativity play, the joy of a good sing, and the teaching of the bible passages appeal to you?
If so, click here to go to THAT WONDERFUL GOD-GIVEN FIRST CHRISTMAS DAY.
Happy to use your own choice of songs/carols, or maybe to combine your nativity play with a church service and congregational hymns?
If so, our price for the following options is EVEN LOWER!….
Why not let the narrator tell the entire story and give the cast instructions, all in rhyme via the script (making this possible to do without a rehearsal!)?
There are 19 small optional speaking parts (each following obvious prompts such as “The innkeeper said….), plus lots of narration to share as you choose, as well as an instructor giving the instructions to the actors if you have any.
Printable script cards are included (plus ‘name tags’ for if you have a director brave enough to do an impromptu nativity play without rehearsal!) If the actor doesn’t say it, the narrator does….
Do you fancy doing a simple nativity play?
If so, click here to go to THE SIMPLEST NATIVITY PLAY EVER.
How about letting the narrator tell the story while an on-stage director gives instructions to the entire cast, all in rhyme as part of the script (making this possible to do without a rehearsal with a confident director!)
The script, as it is written requires Mary, Joseph and an Innkeeper, but also has an additional 20 small optional speaking parts (each following obvious prompts such as “This is the angel who ………), plus 76 lines of narration, and 72 lines for the director (the director does not need to learn anything, but has the script on a clipboard and refers to it constantly as part of the director role, so he/she is able to scan read lines as if simply checking the script for the actors).
Printable script cards are included (plus ‘name tags’ for actors to hang around their necks to aid the director, if you are brave enough to do an impromptu nativity play without rehearsal!) If any actors choose not to say their own lines, the script allows for a voice-over to say the lines on their behalf so that the script does not need reducing.
If so, click here to go to THE STORY OF CHRISTMAS.
This last script is very specific and written for a church service….
Do you have a fun, family atmosphere in your church? Older children? Not many children? Little opportunity to rehearse? The hilarious and unique Do-It-Yourself Nativity Play invites people from the congregation to join in as the script progresses, all narrated and directed IN RHYME AND RHYTHM, and unashamedly mocking (via the script) the adult volunteers! Sound like fun?
If so, click here to go to THE DIY NATIVITY PLAY.
Still prefer The Grandpa’s Nativity Story?
Spoilt for choice?
At this price, where’s the harm in buying a couple and being prepared for next year too? You have my blessing to mix and match the songs (and even parts of the scripts if you like.) Adapt them as you choose, and the upgrade to the word document will make it even easier!
Ps. If you are still not sure, remember that you don’t have to take my word for it. Read the fantastic testimonials that I have received, from teachers and nativity organisers who have used the scripts.
PPs. Still not sure? Click here and let the script previews speak for themselves. In the meantime why not TRY OUT MY WORK FOR FREE? Download your FREE COPY of my “Nativity Roll Call” rhyming poem which makes a fantastic finish to any traditional nativity play! Just enter your name and email address in the box below, click the “SEND IT NOW!” button and you will immediately be given the opportunity to download the Roll Call poem. Once you’ve seen how simple and instant the download process is, why not come back to purchase your instantly downloadable nativity play – you’ll be glad you did!
PPPs. Why do I do it for this price?
I love the work that you are doing! Let’s face it, you are doing endless extra hours and voluntary work, so this is my way of supporting you and saying that it is all worthwhile and appreciated. Well done, and keep up the good work! Enjoy the script, have fun with your nativity play, and have a wonderful Christmas!